On the Earlier Antiquities of the District of Cromar, in Aberdeenshire

including a Notice of an 'Eirde House,' or underground chamber, recently discovered on the Farm of Culsh, in the Parish of Tarland, and of another at Drumnahoy, near Castle Fraser

John Stuart (Author)


Keyword(s):
Cairns, Stone circle, Tomb, Meeting notes, Donations, Fellow election, Alexander Henry Rhind, Vessels
Location(s):
Culsh, Drumnahoy, Castle Fraser, Cromar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
Period(s):
Uncertain

Abstract


John Stuart uses this article to inform the Society of several underground chambers discovered in Aberdeenshire. He begins by briefly describing the geographical features and legends associated with the area. He then moves on to discuss the underground tomb that was uncovered at Culsh, along with the standing stones located nearby. He also describes several similar tombs found in other parts of Aberdeenshire, including an account from Colonel Fraser of the tomb he excavated at Castle Fraser.

 

Meetings minutes for April 17, 1854 are appended.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1852
How to Cite
Stuart, J. (1852). On the Earlier Antiquities of the District of Cromar, in Aberdeenshire. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1, 258-264. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/3966
Section
Articles