The Bishop's Castle, Glasgow, 1598-1744

Athol Murray (Author)


Keyword(s):
Castles, Castle
Location(s):
Bishop's Castle; Glasgow; Scotland; UK
Period(s):
Post Medieval, early modern

Abstract


A previous paper in these Proceedings (Murray 1995) described the castle in its final form in the 1690s and its gradual destruction over the following century. Since then a study of the Bishop of Moray’s castle of Spynie has pointed to similarities between it and Glasgow. Examination of other sources has documented two periods of building activity which have escaped previous notice. The first involves repairs and alterations carried out by the Duke and Duchess of Lennox after 1598; the second work undertaken by Archbishop Ross between 1680 and 1686. In addition further light is thrown on Robert Thomson’s role in the destruction of the castle from 1715 onwards.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-2004
How to Cite
Murray, A. (2004). The Bishop’s Castle, Glasgow, 1598-1744. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 133, 343-358. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/9587
Section
Articles