Two Sculptured Stones, a Coped Coffin-cover, and Part of a Seventeenth-century Tombstone found in St Andrews
Cemetery, Celtic Cross Slab, Carving, Gable
The upper portion of a small Celtic cross slab was discovered in the south gable of the south transept of the Cathedral. It is much weathered and the carving on one face is almost illegible. On the unworn face the sculpturing is clear and sharp. The upper limb of the cross and both arms are covered with a doublecord interlaced pattern. The compartments above the arms are filled with a zigzag fret. There is a double square recess in the angles at the intersection of the arms. On one side there is a spiral and fret pattern; and on the other side a more open but more weathered one. The other fragment was found in the eastern cemetery. The ornament on one face is mainly spiral, but there is some fret as well. The other face shows part of the shaft of a cross and part of the left arm, which are covered with interlaced work. part of a coped-coffin cover was removed from the Abbey wall. The seventeenth-century tombstone commemorates a Margaret Taylor who died in 1636.