A Roman Inscription found at Jedburgh, and some Roman Sculptures recently presented to the National Museum
The inscription was found on a fragment of a stone which had originally been part of an altar. The altar was set up by the First Cohort of Vardulli, an auxiliary regiment which long helped to garrison Britain, and by its then commanding officer, G. Quiritius Severus who it is argued, was a native of Ravenna. The fragment may have come from a fort of which no trace now survives. Two sculptured stones re-used in a building at Croy are also described. One of these is inscribed with a legend dedicated to Victory.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
MacDonald, G. (1923). A Roman Inscription found at Jedburgh, and some Roman Sculptures recently presented to the National Museum. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 57, 173-180. https://doi.org/10.9750/PSAS.057.173.180