The Castles of Ravensnook and Uttershill, Midlothian
Stone, Ruins, Castles
1527, 1899, 16th Century, 1741
Ravensnook and Uttershill are little mansions locally known as castles. Both are very similar in form though Uttershill is of superior construction. Ravensnook is thought to have been built in 1527. It was demolished in 1741 and all that remains is a heap of stones. Uttershill is also thought to have been built in the 16th century though two storeys remain. In 1899 a stone with the date 1511 was found among the ruins.