The Augustinian Priory and Parish Church of Monymusk, Aberdeenshire

W Simpson (Author)


Keyword(s):
Church, Parish Church, Settlement
Period(s):
Early Medieval, Late 16th Century, Thirteenth Century

Abstract


During the thirteenth century the ancient Culdee settlement at Monymusk was replaced by a priory - sometimes in later records styled an Abbey '” of Augustinian Canons Regular, under the Bishop of St Andrews.The possibility that the settlement was Celtic in origin is suggested by the existence of a sculptured stone at Monymusk. The remains of the priory were plundered in the late 16th century for the construction of the House of Monymusk. The parish church is much altered but retains many Norman features although the question of whether it was the parish church or the church of the priory is unresolved.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1925
How to Cite
Simpson, W. (1925). The Augustinian Priory and Parish Church of Monymusk, Aberdeenshire. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 59, 34-71. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/7629
Section
Articles