The Doune of Invernochty
Stone, Mountandbailey Fortress, Earthworks, Mound, Castle
Fourteenth Century, Medieval, Early Thirteenth Century, Early Medieval
The Doune of Invernochty is a very conspicuous mound situated at the confluence of the Nochty water with the Don. The mound is natural in origin but it was surrounded by earthworks and later a medieval castle in stone and lime was built. The remains are still visible. A detailed plan and description of the Doune is presented. It is identified as a mount-and-bailey fortress of Norman construction. The earthworks of the Doune are assigned to some period in the twelfth or early thirteenth century. A persistent tradition bears that the mediaeval church of Invernochty (Strathdon), which about the year 1200 was granted by the Earl of Mar to the Priory of Monymusk and in the fourteenth century became a prebend of St Machar's Cathedral, stood originally on the Doune of Invernochty.