Some Early Orkney Armorials

J Clouston (Author)


Keyword(s):
Churchyard, Stone
Period(s):
Fourteenth Century

Abstract


The sources considered are the more ancient tombstones in St Magnus Cathedral, and certain seals attached to early fifteenth-century Orkney documents now in the Danish Record Office at Copenhagen. Of the stones dealt with, all in fact, save one, come from St Magnus. The exception is a stone that was found in Orphir churchyard. The earliest stones considered are dated to the fourteenth century. The native Orkney arms noticed in this paper are those of Paplay, Flett, Halcro, Skea, and Clouston, and very possibly of Rendall.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1918
How to Cite
Clouston, J. (1918). Some Early Orkney Armorials. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 52, 182-203. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/7430
Section
Articles