Notes on the Royal Heart preserved at St Margaret's Convent, Whitehouse Loan, Edinburgh

J Hanna (Author)


Keyword(s):
Lead Casket
Period(s):
Roman

Abstract


The embalmed heart of a Platagenet king is preserved in a lead casket. It came from the old Abbey of Fontevrault, near Saumur. There were six members of the Plantagenet line buried in the so-called Cemetery of the English Kings at Fontevrault. They were Henry II, Richard Coeur de Lion, Jeanne (or Johanna) of England, sister of Richard, and wife of Raymond VI, Eleanor of Aquitaine, widow of Henry II, Isabella of Angouleme, widow of John (Lackland), Raymond VII of Toulouse, son of Jeanne of England and of Raymond VI. The heart is traditionally believed to be that of Henry II although there is evidence to suggest that it may be the heart of Henry III.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1917
How to Cite
Hanna, J. (1917). Notes on the Royal Heart preserved at St Margaret’s Convent, Whitehouse Loan, Edinburgh. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 51, 16-23. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/7403
Section
Articles