Ecclesiastical Remains at Cruden and St Fegus, Aberdeenshire

Francis Eeles (Author)


Keyword(s):
Stone, Carved Cross, Carving, Bell, Gateway, Churchyard, Church
Period(s):
Medieval, Thirteenth Centuries, Late Fifteenth, Early Sixteenth

Abstract


Two font basins were found at Cruden. One was a particularly good example of the simple cylindrical type of basin common in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, well cut and of delicate proportions. The second is very like some old fonts of the extremely rude early type and has been modified in recent times. A medieval bell in a belfry at Cruden is inscribed but its meaning cannot be deciphered. A fragment of a sacrament house has a carving of probable late fifteenth or early sixteenth date. A carved stone in the churchyard has the inscription "fear God". The remains of the church of St Fergus are described, in particular the arched gateway, a re-used font fragment and a small carved cross.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1913
How to Cite
Eeles, F. (1913). Ecclesiastical Remains at Cruden and St Fegus, Aberdeenshire. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 47, 470-488. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/7304
Section
Articles