Inscribed Runic Ring
Ring, Bronze, Inscribed Object, Anglo-Saxon, Runes, Medicine
Abbey Park; St Andrews; Fife; Scotland; UK
A bronze ring with a runic inscription, found in St Andrews in 1849, was exhibited, and the author points out that it is believed to be the only known example of Anglo-Saxon paleography in Scotland outside of the Ruthwell Cross. Although conceding that the ravages of time have left little decipherable about the inscription, he talks about the etymology of rune and the association of runes with magic and charms. The author disccuses a number of surviving rings whose inscriptions show them to have been used for medical purposes.