An account of the partial excavation of a 'wag' or galleried building at Forse, in the parish of Latheron, Caithness

Alexander Curle (Author)


Keyword(s):
Hearth Fire Cracked Stones Pots, Pot, Floor, Cattle Sheep, Pottery, Wall
Period(s):
Fifteenth Century

Abstract


Wags were folds for cattle, sheep or other livestock. The ruin consisted of a long chamber on the western side, lying approximately NNW and SSE, with the entrance from the latter direction, and two similar chambers, contiguous, on the eastern side, with an indeterminate mass of ruins occupying the space between the eastmost pair and that first mentioned, the whole contained within an encircling wall, reduced in parts almost to foundation level. The westernmost structure had a clay floor and a few fragments of coarse pottery were recovered. One of the chambers on the east was clearly intended for human occupation. A hearth, fire cracked stones, pots and pot lids were found. The structure appears to have been abandoned when the roof collapsed.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Published
30-11-1941
How to Cite
Curle, A. (1941). An account of the partial excavation of a ’wag’ or galleried building at Forse, in the parish of Latheron, Caithness. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 75, 23-39. Retrieved from http://journals.socantscot.org/index.php/psas/article/view/8150
Section
Articles